Greek salad is one of my favourite low-carb salads, but I never used to make them because they didn’t last well in the fridge. Thankfully, I discovered this method of preparing Greek salad that allows me to do the the lion’s share prep work ahead of time, and then spend a few seconds throwing it together when I want a fresh and healthy salad. When I have a Greek salad prepped and ready to go it’s easy to eat my vegetables, even if I am in a rush to get out the door.
The trick to preparing a Greek salad that will last a long time is to chop most the vegetables ahead of time, but replace the large chopped-up tomatoes with whole cherry tomatoes. This prevents the tomato juices from running over the other vegetables, which causes them to lose their freshness. You can then store all of the vegetables mixed together in a sealed container in the fridge. When you want a salad, you just grab a handful of the vegetables and then pour on the salad dressing and top with some crumbled feta and olives.
I’ve made this recipe on road trips when I’ve wanted to have something healthy to snack on at rest stops. I would just bring along a cutting board, knife, cooler, and a container for the chopped veggies. I’d chop up the vegetables in my hotel room and then keep them in the cooler with the other ingredients until I found a nice place to stop and have a snack.
A Greek salad prepared this way will last for a week or two in the fridge, so make a big batch!
- 1/2 purple onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- Greek salad dressing (sugar-free)
- Feta cheese
- olives (optional)
- Chop the onions, pepper, and cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the chopped veggies and the whole grape or cherry tomatoes into a container with a tight fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat the salad. It is important to not cut the tomatoes, to keep the juice in.
- To serve the salad, put some of the veggie mix on a plate. Add some Greek salad dressing, and sprinkle with olives and crumbled Feta cheese.
|2-week Greek salad (make sure it is low-sugar)||Serves 8