Cauliflower “rice” is a low-carb and low-calorie alternative to rice. One serving of cauliflower rice contains about 35 calories and 7.5 grams of carbohydrate, and provides 2 vegetable servings! Compare that to a cup of brown rice, which contains 215 calories and 44.8 grams of carbohydrates.One head of cauliflower makes about four 1-cup servings.If you like this recipe, you might also want to try mashed cauliflower, a low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
- Core the cauliflower and remove any green leaves.
- Grate the cauliflower with a hand-held grater, or chop it coarsely with a food processor. Use about ¼ of a medium-sized cauliflower for each serving, or just eyeball the amount you want.
- Heat a large, nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat, and add the cauliflower. (You may need to do this in multiple batches.) There is no need to add oil or water – the water contained in the cauliflower will do all of the cooking.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Serve with your favourite recipe in place of rice.
|Cauliflower rice||Serves 4