This curried brown rice and lentil recipe is a whole-grain, low-fat, vegetarian dish. Try some yogurt cheese as a garnish – the cool tanginess of the yogurt goes well with the spicy curry flavour. This dish keeps well in the fridge and makes for lots of leftovers. However, the rice will continue to soak up water as it sits – you will probably need to add more water to it when you reheat it!
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 cups brown rice
- 8 cups water, plus extra
- 4 Tbsp Indian curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Tomatoes, yogurt cheese, and chives for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, add the curry powder and ¼ cup water and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils and remaining 8 cups of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add rice and cook another 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender, adding more water if needed.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt cheese, and top with sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper, and chopped chives.