Quinoa is a slowly digested carbohydrate that contains a complete protein, making it a good choice for vegetarians and people who don’t want to raise their blood sugar levels. It is also gluten-free.
This recipe is really flexible – don’t be afraid to estimate the measurements and add your own personal flair. The dressing in this recipe is fairly light – you may want to double it if you like a bit more flavour.
If you like quinoa, you might want to check out our other quinoa recipes.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- ½ purple onion, chopped finely
- 1 package cherry or grape tomatoes (about 1 heaping cup)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine quinoa and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, covered, on low heat for 15 minutes (it should not boil). Note that quinoa is cooked the same way as white rice, so you can skip this step and cook the quinoa in a rice cooker if you like.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, remove it from the heat, fluff it with a fork, and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, black beans, corn and purple onion.
- Slice the cherry or grape tomatoes in half and add it to the bean/corn mixture. (If you don’t have cherry or grape tomatoes, you can just chop up a regular-sized tomato into bite-sized pieces).
- To make the dressing, combine water, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and oregano in a cup and stir.
- Add the dressing to the quinoa mixture and stir until the dressing is evenly mixed in.
- Garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
|Quinoa, black bean and corn salad||Serves 12