Quinoa pudding is just like rice pudding but uses quinoa as the main ingredient. Quinoa often called a superfood, because it contains all nine essential amino acids, making it one of the few vegetarian sources of a complete protein. It’s also full of vitamin B2 and magnesium.But enough about its health benefits – quinoa pudding is a great whole grain dessert. For the non-fat version of this recipe, replace the 3 eggs with ⅓ cup of egg whites. For the low-sugar version of this recipe, omit the raisins.
If you like quinoa, you might want to check out our other quinoa recipes.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- 3 cups + ½ cup skim milk or soy milk
- 3 eggs, beaten (or ⅓ cup egg whites)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ¾ cup Splenda® or sweetener to equal ¾ cups sugar
- Bring the uncooked quinoa and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. (Alternatively, cook the quinoa in a rice cooker the same way you would cook rice.)
- Add the raisins and 3 cups of milk to the cooked quinoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat, uncovered, being careful not to let the milk boil over.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 20 minutes. As the quinoa cooks, the grains absorb the milk.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, Splenda® or sweetener, and ½ cup of remaining milk to the quinoa/milk mixture. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
|Quinoa Pudding||Serves 6