Dressing up broccoli with sesame and soy only takes a few minutes and makes it taste great. The secret is to toast your own sesame seeds – it’s fast and easy and they taste amazing.
- 1 Tbsp raw sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5-6 cups broccoli florettes
To toast the sesame seeds
- Add the sesame seeds to a dry frying pan and set on the stove top on medium-high heat.
- Continuously shake the pan to keep the sesame seeds moving around. After a couple of minutes, the sesame seeds start to change colour. Watch closely at this point, because they can quickly burn.
- Once the sesame seeds are a caramel colour, remove them from the pan. (If you leave them there, they will burn, even if you’ve removed the pan from the heat!)
To make the broccoli
- Lightly steam the broccoli for 1-2 minutes, until it changes from grey-green to bright green, and the centres are still crunchy.
- Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, add the broccoli, and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and stir-fry 1-2 minutes more until broccoli is tender. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds and serve.
|Sesame broccoli||Serves 4