If you need a healthy slow-carb fix, try this whole wheat bread pudding recipe. It’s low in fat and sugar and contains plenty of whole grains.If you want more of a treat, you can add a handful of raisins (this adds a bit of sugar) or use whole eggs instead of egg whites (this adds a bit of fat).
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 cups skim milk (may substitute soy milk or almond milk)
- ¾ cup liquid egg white (or 4 large eggs)
- ¾ cup Splenda or stevia to equal ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- handful of raisins (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and place them in a loaf pan or an 8″ by 8″ ovenproof baking dish.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the bread (optional).
- In a medium bowl, mix the milk, eggs, vanilla cinnamon and sweetener together.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread.
- Lightly press the bread pieces down with a fork so they soak up the milk mixture.
- Bake at 350° F (175° C) for 45 minutes.
|Whole wheat bread pudding||Serves 4