Cauliflower is one of the most versatile low-carb vegetables and can play a big part in any healthy diet. One cup of cauliflower rice contains 35 calories, 7 grams of carbohydrates, and provides 2 vegetable servings. Compare that to a cup of brown rice, which has 215 calories and 44.8 grams of carbohydrates, and you can see how cauliflower rice is a winner.
Cauliflower has many other health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties, and it’s high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals. If you want to incorporate more cauliflower into your diet, you might also want to try mashed cauliflower, a low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes.
One medium-sized head of cauliflower makes about four 1-cup servings of cauliflower rice.
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
- Wash and core the cauliflower, removing any green leaves.
- Grate the cauliflower with a hand-held grater, or chop it coarsely with a food processor.
- Heat a large, nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat, add the cauliflower, and stir-fry. There is no need to add oil or water – the water contained in the cauliflower does the cooking.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Serve with your favourite recipe in place of rice.
|Cauliflower rice||Serves 4