A virgin bloody Mary is a spicy sugar-free drink that is great at a summer BBQ or as a nice treat for a low-sugar diet. (Add a jigger of vodka to make the grown-up version, but be aware that alcohol adds carbs… and poor judgement.)Make sure to use tomato juice that doesn’t have any added sugar or fruit juices. Be careful if you substitute the tomato juice with a vegetable juice blend as many of them have added fruit juices or corn syrup.
- 1 lime wedge
- celery salt, for rimming the glass
- ice to fill one glass
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Pickled asparagus or celery stalk (for garnish)
To rim the glass
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of a tall glass.This wets the rim of the glass so the celery salt can stick to it.
- Put about a tablespoon of celery salt onto a plate. Turn the glass upside-down and put the wet rim of the glass in the celery salt, turning it so that it picks up the celery salt.
To make the drink
- Fill the celery salt -rimmed glass ¾ full of ice.
- Fill the glass with tomato juice (about 1 cup, depending on the size of your glass).
- Add 4 dashes of worchestershire sauce and 3 dashes of tabasco sauce and stir. (Use less if you don’t like it spicy!)
- Sprinkle the top with a pinch of celery salt.
- Garnish with stem of pickled asparagus or a celery stalk.
|Virgin bloody Mary||Serves 1